Kickstarter has spawned countless successful games along with several memorable failures. Busted release dates are a common occurrence, and it’s easy to forget about some games that were funded over the past year. Welcome to our new column, “Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition,” where we’ll take a look at successfully funded games and update you on their progress. First up is a game by the name of Godus.
Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition: Godus from 22cans photo
Godus is the brainchild of Peter Molyneux, founder of 22cans and the mind behind games like Populous, Fable, and Black & White. He’s been involved with some very popular games, and he also loves to shoot his mouth off; it’s a well-known fact. If you’re a fan of the ‘God Game’ genre, you’ve probably played Populous, and Godus is the spiritual successor to the critically acclaimed game.
Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition: Godus from 22cans photo
Godus lets players take part in a “living world” that’s influenced by your decisions along with those of other players. You’ll have the ability to shape the land as you see fit and rule your followers with grace or brutality. It’s your call. You can just sit back and manage things or you can choose to conquer other lands, which is where Godus’ multiplayer comes into play. Will you be a benevolent God or a vengeful one that smites other gods’ armies?
Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition: Godus from 22cans photo
The Godus Kickstarter campaign ran from November to December of 2012, surpassing its initial goal of £450,000 to raise a total of £526,563. It was met with its fair share of controversy as well, considering Molyneux is by no means poor and Kickstarter is generally thought to be a place for indie developers who are looking for funding, not established developers with a history of hits like Peter Molyneux. Godus also received a lot of attention thanks to 22cans’ Curiosity Cube, which promoted Godus and gave the person who cracked the cube true godlike powers within the realm of Godus, along with a cut of the proceeds from the game.
Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition: Godus from 22cans photo
So where is Godus now? We’re pleased to say it just hit Beta on the 13th through Steam’s Early Access program. In fact, they’ve already updated the Beta, and they seem to be on track for a wide release around the first of the year. That said, early reviews have been less than stellar and there’s a lot of clicking and waiting involved to go along with a large dose of creepy thanks to the games chat-bots. That said, you have to remember it’s a “Beta” and not the completed version of the game. 22cans has said the Beta is only 40% of Godus so let’s hope the other 60% is going to be mind-blowing.
Where are They Now Kickstarter Edition: Godus from 22cans photo
It remains to be seen how the completed game will play but, if you game on the PC or Mac, you can check out the Godus Beta for $20.00 (yikes) on Steam if you’re feeling froggy. It’s a high price to pay for early access to a game by an established developer, especially considering the amount of money the game took in during its Kickstarter run. No firm release date has been set for the finalized version of the game but it’s expected to be out before the end of the year on the PC, Mac, Android, and iOS.